Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sie Meint, Sie Wär Alleine...


The skies have been gray and cool, mirroring my disposition. I have been given unto, and from me has been taken away, with the end result being considerably less satisfaction with my lot than would have been otherwise. Nevertheless, one can go nowhere but forwards. It's entropy, you see.

In happier news, my exercise program continues to produce excellent results. Admittedly I have yet to achieve anything like my previous 5K PRs, but considering then I was both eighteen and some forty pounds lighter I think I'm not doing too badly. I pulled off a 45 lb curl the other day, which has been pretty consistently at or above my maximum output. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll be able to increment that up to fifty. I feel like my bench progress is somewhat lagging, though. In any case.

Turkish and Polish continue to advance. Unfortunately, so does the time I feel compelled to devote to them. It may have been a bite beyond my ability to chew while simultaneously making satisfactory progress on my dissertation. Beyond the simple time demands, I've been having trouble keeping all the words straight in my head. Last Thursday, we had our first Polish exam, and for one of the questions we had to translate backpack into Polish. Looking at the question, what popped into my head? Çanta. Batoh. Rücksack. But not until a bit later when I came back to the question did the Polish word, plecak, finally strike me. Sometimes I worry about my Czech slipping away as well. It takes a noted effort of mind to say 'to je' instead of 'to jest' these days.

It still seems to me that my social life is fragmented. It is, I think, an artifact of my peculiar schedule but I haven't quite adjusted to it yet in a way that seems acceptable to me. I do have a lot of stuff going on, but I would like to emphasize here that I think you're awesome and we should hang out soon. Also, if you have any cute single friends, you should introduce me to them.

Oh yes! I have an awesome new netbook. It is tiny, turquoise, and eminently portable. Now I can... work... anywhere...

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to go get a netbook. They're so nice!

    I do have some cute single friends that I'd love to introduce you too, but they are too far away from you :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of my life. I do appreciate the thought, though!

    ReplyDelete