Friday, April 10, 2015

Expectations and Expectorations

The final rejection for the 2014-2015 academic year has come in, leading to the distinct sensation of having been spewed from the mouth of academia, for I was neither hot nor cold. In the process, I seem to have accumulated a number of ways to apply the skills I have so laboriously acquired in the paper mines. It remains a constant source of wonder to me that, in the soi disant 'real world', one can actually exchange labor for sweet filthy lucre.

The extent to which one can, in fact, do so is, though, hotly debated. One certainly accumulates skill sets in the process of graduate education. Writing, editing, organization, presentation, management of a sort, particular kinds of research and research methods. Though academia may or may not value such talents, the world at large seems quite enamored of them. The immediate problem that I have encountered is that the application of such talents in a business context tend to be gated by particular specialized competencies as well as substantial expectations for experience. Three to five years of experience is always to be desired, I'm sure, but at the entry level it seems malicious. With time, that most precious of commodities, such barriers may be overcome. Mote it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment