Saturday, September 18, 2010

Beginnings New and Old

Monday, August 23rd, 8:56 AM Prague Time

I'm proud of myself – I actually woke up on time this morning to get to breakfast with the other people in the program! It was a little bit of a struggle getting out of bed, honestly, with only five hours of sleep, but I made it. And when I walked out for the meeting I saw who else but Veronika Akinorev! Though I couldn't remember her name off the top of my head, she recognized me as well. It's a small, strange world sometimes, but it was actually really nice, not necessarily because we knew each other so very well, but to have an 'in', so to speak. I actually spent more time talking to Maria, the Ukrainian girl who was in Veronika's 'group' than to her, but otherwise I probably wouldn't have managed to work up the energy and courage to talk to anybody. The breakfast itself was uninspired – typical European, which is to say more cheeses and lunch meats than what I would consider breakfast, but there was some Semmelbrot (whatever that is in Czech) and there was coffee, so I can't complain too terribly. Especially since I actually did have some company for it, though I was definitely lagging a bit and the conversation didn't necessarily sparkle the whole time. I don't feel like that was necessarily my fault, though – I think I tried pretty hard to be outgoing and try conversational gambits. So so far so good. Apparently today we're going to take a test to divide us up into classes, so I hope I'm neither so lagged out nor so forgetful as to bomb it completely. I'll try to get some studying in beforehand. At least a quick review of the conjugations. I feel like I've forgotten a lot of vocabulary, especially, though I think it'll come back relatively quickly now that I'm speaking it and hearing it on a regular basis now. We'll see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment