Friday, September 3rd, 5:26 PM
Sometimes it seems that things move very quickly in life. This whole summer school concept is something of a hothouse concept, admittedly. Intensive language study in the school itself. Intensive socialization in the limited group of peers thrown together in a strange place, with the same courses, free-time activities, and living space. And for me, at least, acclimation to a new country and a new mode of living. I bought a cell phone yesterday – it was actually very easy. Misa had recommended a type of phone to get, so I walked over to the shopping center and walked into the store. Ten minutes and forty-five dollars later I walked out with a sweet new phone. Pre-paid is all the rage in Europe, so I draw down my balance whenever I talk to people, but given how seldom I use phones I think I'll manage to not bankrupt myself. I'd been worrying about having to sign a contract, provide identification, provide an address, verify income stream, but no. I was proud of myself for undertaking the entire transaction in Czech, though. And not just mime and gesture plus noun Czech, but an actual conversation.
Most people are out and about doing various things at the moment, and I'm somewhat at loose ends. We got a free afternoon off of class, since there was a museum tour, but I didn't even think about it until after it started. I was in the computer lab taking care of some things for my trip to Ostrava this weekend, and panicked a little bit when I looked at my watch and saw it was 1:45, until I remembered that classes were cancelled. Olga has gone early to Prague, Alena is in Tábon with Luiza and some other people, I think most of the Germans went on the museum tour, so I spent a couple hours finishing off Mass Effect 2. Seems to have been worth the effort.
I'll be happy when the construction is over. The elevators are being rebuilt, so the stairwell is a construction zone full of tools and bags of cement, and the drone of high-powered drills and cutting saws start as early as 7:00 AM, weekend or not. God knows what kind of particulates are coming out of that thing. At least I haven't been terribly hung-over since I arrived – a fair miracle, to be honest, considering how much we drank the first week. Mmm. Maybe they'll get back soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment