Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dobrodružství

Thursday, August 26th, 6:42 PM Prague Time

Time is a little short, honestly. I'm about to head off to a folk festival with some of the Russians, but I haven't updated recently. I was originally assigned to class 3, but after one round of it which was insultingly easy I switched up a class and now things are going much better. It's a challenge instead of a bore, though I still know or at least have known the material at some point. It seems like I'm getting to know more people. Just by being more forward (i.e. inviting myself in to conversations/groups) and switching classes and just doing things I'm getting to know a few people a little better. My roommate Jesse finally arrived, so sadly my single room is vorbei for now, but he says he'll be leaving again in a few days, so I'll have it back for most of the course. Adapting to Czech habits and equipment proceeding apace, though the shower arrangements are still irritating and the meals have become rather repetitive. There's pretty much always a meat thing and a potato thing, and while I like both of them they aren't terribly well-prepared or terribly good, to be frank. I walked out towards the suburbs this afternoon and found a Billa and an ATM, so I can get money again. I bought a few things for breakfast and some lemon water. It looks like Misa has found me a good apartment in Ostrava, so I'm planning to head out there next weekend to sign the lease and pay the deposit and suchlike. It will be good to have that all in order, I'm very thankful that I ended up getting in contact with him. Czech is fitfully but relatively rapidly returning. I'm glad I decided to come study up a bit before Ostrava, frankly. I would've been terrible without some practice. I'm still kind of shaky, but I think by the end of the course I'll be doing much better. Oddly enough, I feel like I'm getting more use out of my German than out of English, which is unusual. I'm happy to know both, though – I can talk to pretty much everybody, though there are a couple people that I think our only shared language is actually Czech. Which is okay, we can get along. Though it's a little more difficult to get to know somebody in Czech, seeing as how I don't speak it as well as I could've hoped. Anyways, I'm off to adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment